Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Get in Line

Store: Nordstrom (Topshop section) | Location: Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook, IL

I love Topshop. I'm so glad that they opened one in Chicago three years ago and that they now offer Topshop at Nordstrom. Makes my life so much more convenient but also is really damaging to my wallet. I still love it nonetheless, and my wallet is just going to have to forgive me.  
Anyways, everything about this display screams fall. From the colors, fabrics, and outfit choices, this display was spot on. I loved how they aligned the mannequins in a vertical line because I feel like it makes more of a visual impact when you're looking at it rather than if they were to just have them all standing next to each other. It makes you really observe each outfit up close. I also noticed that there was a pattern in the outfits and it alternates from a denim shirt and shorts outfit to a hat and pants outfit. It just shows that they really put some thought into the display as a whole. 
The fabric choices and different patterns make every outfit look very luxe, especially the first two outfits. You definitely get that vibe from the faux fur vest and the silky blouse. The overall display also reads very street style to me because they aren't too styled. When you take a moment to look at each outfit, all the pieces are fairly basic items that anyone could easily already have in their own wardrobe. I think since the outfits are lacking accessories like jewelry,  it makes them more relatable to consumers because not everyone wants to pile on necklaces, bracelets, and rings for an everyday look. I think if the outfits were to have more jewelry on them, it would've made the overall vibe of the display more high fashion. 
As far as the principles of design go, even though this isn't an actual window, there are still some principles of design that are present. The overall display is very balanced - everything is the same height and is perfectly aligned. The vertical alignment gives this display rhythm because your eyes travel from one mannequin to the next, and so forth so there is a steady flow of visual stimulation going on. 

1 comment:

  1. I really really really love the things that they are standing on. Top shop is brilliant with monochromatic elements and this really pulls their branding into the display. All of the textures and patterns are so fun! They really did a great job and thought this whole thing out!

    ReplyDelete